Mulled Creme Brûlée
Serves: Makes 4
- 500ml of double cream
- 1 mulled wine sachet
- 1 tsp. of vanilla paste
- 100g of castor sugar and extra for the topping
- 6 free-range egg yolks
- Preheat the oven to 150C.
- In a heavy based pan, heat the double cream and mulled wine sachet over a medium - high heat until it starts to reach boiling point but don’t bring it to the boil.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and vanilla paste until fluffy and paler in colour.
- Remove the mulled wine sachet from the cream and then very slowly, pour into the bowl of egg yolks and sugar and whisk together to form a custard.
- Pour the mixture into ramekins and place onto a high topped baking tray. Pour water into the tray up to half way up the ramekins and pop into the oven, cooking for 30-35 minutes. Once done, the Creme Brûlées should have a but of a wobble to them. Allow to cool fully.
- To make the crunchy topping, spoon over a tablespoon of sugar over the Creme Brûlée and shake so it’s fully covering the custard. Using a blowtorch or the grill, caramelise until golden and leave to cool for a couple of minutes before serving.