A delicious and fresh recipe that’s perfect for lamb whilst it’s in season.
This can either be made in the oven as instructed or on a BBQ for summer. Team with lots of fragrant herby pomegranate couscous and a molasses and lemon dressed green salad.
Lamb kofta flatbreads
Serves: Serves 4
- For the flatbreads:
- 50g of salted butter
- 180ml of milk
- A pinch of salt
- 300g of plain flour
- For the koftas:
- 2 banana shallots, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 250g of lamb mince
- 1 tsp. of cumin
- 1 tsp. of cinnamon
- 1 tsp. of sumac
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tsp. of chopped mint
- 2 tbsp. of white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. of redcurrent jelly
- 4 heaped tbsp. of natural yoghurt
- 1 thumb sized piece of cucumber, sliced very thinly
- ¼ of a red onion, sliced very thinly
- A few fresh leaves of mint to garnish
- In a small pan over a low heat, heat the butter, milk and salt until the butter has melted. Pour the mixture into a large bowl containing the flour. Kneed well for a few minutes until a smooth dough is formed and wrap in clingfilm. Allow to rest at room temperature for twenty minutes whilst you prepare the lamb koftas. Preheat the oven to 180C.
- In a bowl, mix together the shallots, garlic, lamb and spices , a pinch of salt and pepper until well combined. Make into 9 koftas and heat a griddle pan. Char the lamb koftas until browned and then pop them onto a baking tray and cook for 10 minutes in the oven whilst you make the flatbreads.
- To make the flatbreads, divide the dough into four. Roll into a ball and flatten with your palm. Flour the work surface and roll each piece into the size of a small plate and about just under half a centimetre thick. Pop a frying or griddle pan on a medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Fry each flatbread for a minute or two on each side until golden brown. To make the mint dressing, mix the chopped mint, white wine vinegar and red current jelly in a small bowl.
- Spread each flatbread with natural yoghurt, top with 3 lamb koftas and drizzle with the mint sauce. Scatter with shaved cucumber, red onion and garnish with extra fresh mint. Serve immediately.