A deliciously rich and decadent recipe to celebrate Burford Browns in all their glory. From the pasta dough, silky carbonara sauce and confit yolk this recipe celebrates the richness and flavour of the Burford Brown yolk in every element.
Handkerchief chorizo carbonara, confit Burford Brown
Serves: Serves 2
- For the pasta dough:
- 150g of 00 pasta flour
- 2 Clarence Court Burford Brown eggs
- Extra virgin olive oil
- For the confit egg yolks:
- Olive oil, tough to cover the egg yolks in an ovenproof dish
- 2 Clarence Court Burford Brown eggs, yolk separated from the whites
- For the Carbonara sauce:
- 50g diced chorizo
- 2 Clarence Court Burford Brown yolks
- 50g freshly grated pecorino
- Smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 65C fan.
- To make the pasta dough, tip out the flour onto a work surface and make a well. Crack in the eggs and with a fork whisk the eggs, slowly incorporating the four into the middle. When the mixture comes together use your hands to knead all of the flour into the dough, adding a drizzle of olive oil to help bring it together. Once combined, wrap in cling film and rest for an hour.
- To confit the yolk, pour enough olive oil into an ovenproof dish to cover the yolk. Carefully submerge the yolk into the oil and place in the oven for an hour.
- After the pasta has rested, unwrap and pass through a pasta machine, working through the settings until thin and silky. Cut into large squares.
- Put a large frying pan over a medium to hight heat and fry the chorizo for 4-5 minutes until crisp then remove from the heat.
- Bring a pan of salted boiling water to the boil and submerge the pasta sheets into the water, cooking for 2-3 minutes or until al dente.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl mixing the parmesan into the eggs. Season with pepper.
- Using a slotted spoon, gently drain and remove the pasta from the pan and into the bowl with the eggs and parmesan. Toss until the mixture thickens but doesn’t scramble, using a little of the reserved pasta water to loosen the mixture if need be. Mix in the crispy chorizo.
- Serve the pasta with the confit yolk nestled in the middle of the pasta hankerchiefs and add a sprinkle of smoked paprika to serve.