GREEN TEA and peppermint CUPCAKES
- 40g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 115g of plain flour
- 140g castor sugar
- 1½ tsp. of baking powder
- 2 tbsp. of green tea powder
- 120ml of milk
- 1 medium egg
- For the Icing:
- 80g of unsalted butter at room temperature
- 160g of icing sugar
- 1 tsp. of peppermint essence
- A few drops of green food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- In a bowl, add the butter, flour, caster sugar, baking powder and green tea powder and use an electric whisk to beat until all the butter is incorporated and you have a sand-like texture.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the milk and egg and slowly add to the dry mixture, mixing until you have a batter.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake cases, about a heaped tablespoon in each, and bake in the centre of the oven for 15 minutes or until lightly golden and springy to the touch. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, whisk together the butter, icing sugar and peppermint essence together for a couple of minutes until smooth. Add a little green food colouring to make the icing a light green colour and then pop in the fridge for 15–20 or until firm.
- Ice the cupcakes using the back of a spoon and garnish with fresh mint.