A deliciously simple dish to take you all through the summer months. The pasta can be made up to a day ahead and stored in clingfilm in the fridge until needed.
Fresh saffron tagliatelle with mussels
Serves: Serves 4
- A generous pinch of saffron
- 300g of 00 flour
- 3 Clarence Court Burford Brown eggs
- 500g of fresh mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- A pinch of chilli flakes
- 200 ml of dry white wine
- 1 tbsp of finely chopped parsley
- Juice ½ a lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Add the saffron to 4tbsp of warm water and set aside to infuse.
- Pour the flour onto a clean work surface and make a well in the middle. Crack the eggs into the centre of the well and using a fork gently whisk the eggs. Pour in the saffron infused water and mix. Once most of the flour is incorporated and it becomes difficult to use a fork, use your hands to bring the mix together to form a dough. Knead for ten to fifteen minutes until it’s smooth and wrap in cling film. Leave on the side (not in the fridge) for at least an hour to rest.
- Once the dough has rested remove it from the cling film and cut into four. Dust in flour and roll the dough through a pasta machine, through the settings until you have a thin sheet. Then using the pasta attachment, cut into tagliatelle. If you don’t have a pasta machine, simply roll out the pasta until it’s thin, then cut into strips with a knife. Set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan and add a glug of olive oil. Gently fry the garlic until lightly golden and add the chilli flakes. Pour in the mussels and add the white wine. Leave to simmer for a couple of minutes until the mussels have opened; discard any that haven’t.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the tagliatelle for 2-3 minutes until al dente. Save a cup of the pasta water, drain and then pour into the pan with the mussels. Mix well and add a splash of the pasta water. Squeeze in the lemon juice and add the chopped parsley and mix, you should have a nice glossy sauce. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and serve immediately.