The traditional French Toast (one of my favourites) gets an English makeover using crumpets and British strawberries and it’s a lot easier than you think.
English Toast Crumpets, Strawberry Compote, Clotted Cream
Serves: Serves 2
- French Toast Crumpets, Strawberry Compote and Clotted Cream
- 250g of ripe strawberries
- 2 tbsp. of castor sugar
- 1 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 50ml of milk
- ½ a tsp. of cinnamon
- 4 crumpets
- 2 tsp. of clotted cream
- Cut the strawberries in half and then tumble into a saucepan. Add the sugar and lemon juice to the pan and simmer until all of the sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, mix together the eggs, milk and cinnamon until fully combined. Dip each crumpet into the mix and press down until like a sponge the crumpets have soaked up the liquid.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the crumpets for a couple of minutes on either side until golden brown.
- Serve the crumpets with a spoonful of clotted cream and the strawberry compote dripping down the sides.