Here we are.
It’s that time of year – the ‘what do you get the person who’s got everything?’ and ‘oh gawd, we need to buy a present for the in-laws’ time of year. My problem this year, is the latter. And so, when Ryvita challenged me to create a festive gift hamper around a selection of Ryvita Thins, I thought ‘Game on’.
By nature I’m a crafty person, I much prefer making gifts rather than buying something off the shelves that everyone else has too – making gifts or compiling a selection of well though out goodies means a lot more to the recipient than you’d think – it takes time, effort and thought. And so, with a selection of tasty Ryvita thins at the ready I got my creative thinking cap on and created a hamper filled with christmas goodies, ingredients for mulled wine, baked and jewelled camembert, and two homemade jars of dips and pâtés to go with the thins, to be enjoyed as a snack at the end of the day with a glass of vino or a canapé with friends before a dinner party.
Included in my hamper is an aubergine caviar with toasted pine nuts, teamed with the caramelised onion ryvita thins makes for a perfect snack with a glass of wine in front of the fire this christmas. My smoked salmon and dill pâté serves as a perfect and easy get ahead canapé for guests over the festive season and why not make my baked and jewelled camembert for an ‘everybody dig in’ dish with friends, perfect for sharing over a bottle of red and utterly decadent.
Either way, and however you eat them, teamed with my recipes below Ryvita Thins make for the perfect seasonal snack this Christmas.
- 120g of smoked salmon
- 180g of cream cheese
- 1 tsp. of horseradish
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- A tablespoon of chopped dill
- Into a blender, pulse all of the ingredients until you have a smooth consistency but still with some chunks of salmon, you don't want a runny mix.
- Transfer to a sterilised jar and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours to set before serving.
- Serve with multi-seed ryvita thins.
- 1 large aubergine
- 3 tbsp. of tahini
- 1 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- A good pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Toasted pine nuts and extra virgin olive oil to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Cut the aubergine in half and brush all over with oil and season with salt. Pop in the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes or until soft.
- When cool, spoon out the flesh onto a chopping board and chop into a grainy mixture. Add to a bowl with the tahini, lemon juice, crushed garlic, chilli flakes, olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well and spoon into a serving dish. Serve scattered with toasted pine nuts and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and dig into with the caramelised onion Ryvita thins.
- 1 250g box of camembert
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and quartered
- 1 tbsp. of pomegranate molasses
- 1 tbsp. of honey
- 1 tbsp. of crushed pistachios
- The seeds from ½ a pomegranate
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Leaving the camembert in the box, score the top of the cheese in a crisscross and poke the quartered garlic into the cheese.
- Pop the lid back on and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until oozing.
- Once out of the oven, drizzle with the pomegranate molasses and honey and scatter with crushed pistachios and pomegranate seeds. Serve with cheddar and black pepper Ryvita thins.