What could settle you into the weekend better than a lazy Brunch of Brioche French Toast with Star Anise and Cinnamon Plums? Super easy to make and absolutely perfect for the Autumnal months; a real hug on a plate for the weekend.
Brioche French Toast, Star anise and cinnamon Plums
Serves: Serves 2-4
- 4 ripe plums, de-stoned and sliced into 6 segments
- 2 tbsp. of castor sugar
- 1 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 2 star anise
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 50ml of milk
- ½ a tsp. of cinnamon
- 1 tsp. of sugar
- 6 thick slices of brioche
- Clotted cream or ice cream optional
- Tumble the plum segments into a saucepan. Add the sugar and lemon juice to the pan, star anise and cinnamon and simmer until all of the sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, cinnamon and sugar until fully combined. Dip each slice of brioche into the mix and press down until like a sponge the brioche has soaked up some of the liquid.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the brioche in a little butter for a couple of minutes on either side until golden brown.
- Serve the toast stacked with a spoonful of the spiced plums dripping down the sides and top with your choice of either clotted cream or ice cream.