Wonderfully simple and easy to make but quite the show piece on Bonfire Night, my Bonfire Cupcakes are fun to create and taste ruddy delicious!
Serves: Makes 8-10
- For the sponge:
- 40g of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 120g of plain flour
- 140g of castor sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. of baking powder
- 120ml of milk
- 1 egg
- For the icing:
- 80g of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 160g of icing sugar
- 1 tsp. of orange essence
- Red, orange and yellow food colouring
- 2 cadburys flakes, chopped into shards
- Preheat the oven to 170C and line a cupcake tray with 12 paper cases.
- In a bowl, add the butter, flour, castor sugar and baking powder and using an electric whisk, mix until it forms into a sandy mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk and egg and slowly add to the mixture, mixing until you’ve formed a batter.
- Pour the batter into your cupcake cases, about a heaped tablespoon in each and bake in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes or until lightly golden and springy to the touch. Remove from the oven allow to rest for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool fully.
- To make the icing, whisk together the butter, icing sugar and orange essence together for a couple of minutes until smooth. Line a piping back wit a mixture of red, yellow and orange food colouring using a tooth pick and transfer the icing to the bag.
- Using a star shaped nozzle, ice the cupcakes with a whip and decorate with shards of flake to look like wood on a bonfire.