This simple salad is from my cookbook Milly’s Real Food, it’s packed with flavour but incredibly simple to make. Perfect as a side or to parade as the main event; portable for picnics and perfect as a light supper.
- 1 tbsp. of vegetable oil
- 6 boneless, skin-on chicken thighs
- 6 wanton wrappers or 1 white tortilla wrap if you can’t get hold of them
- ½ a red cabbage
- 1 Chinese lettuce (Available at all large supermarkets)
- A large handful of mange tout, sliced into strips
- 2 Spring onions, finely chopped
- A sprig of fresh coriander, shredded
- 3 tbsp. of tangy peanut dip, recipe in Sides, Snacks & Sauces
- 2 tbsp. of salted peanuts, crushed
- 1 tsp of sesame seeds, black and white
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Pop a large frying pan onto a medium – high heat and add the vegetable oil.
- Season the chicken skins with salt and fry, skin down for 5-6 minutes until crispy. Turn and cook for a further 3-4 minutes or until cooked through and remove from the pan. Slice the chicken into strips and allow to cool.
- Shred the wanton wrappers into 1cm strips and add fry them in the same pan, as the chicken for 1 couple of minutes on either side until crispy. Remove from the pan and onto kitchen towel to cool and crisp up.
- Shred the Chinese cabbage and the red cabbage and put into large bowl along with the mange tout, coriander and spring onion. Add the sliced chicken, peanut dip and crushed peanuts. Toss everything together, and pour out onto a serving platter, top with the crispy wanton strips, sesame seeds and serve with the lime wedges.