Put down that takeaway menu, these crispy five spice pork lettuce boats with noodles and fresh herbs are a flavour explosion and a nourishing plate of food all in one.
Five spice pork and noodle lettuce boats
- 500g pork mince
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. five spice powder
- 1 tsp. chilli flakes
- 2 tsp. fish sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp. of sweet chilli sauce
- 1 fresh romaine lettuce
- A large handful of beansprouts
- A bunch of dried rice noodles, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes until soft
- ½ a cucumber, cut into ribbons
- Fresh herbs such as mint, thai basil, coriander and chives
- 2 spring onion, cut into thin strips
- Heat a large frying pan over a high heat and fry the pork mince with a teaspoon of vegetable oil, breaking down the meat and allowing it to sizzle for 8-10 minutes until brown and crispy.
- Add in the minced garlic, five spice powder, chilli flakes, fish sauce, lime juice and sweet chilli sauce and turn down the heat. Stir everything through and cook for a further two minutes.
- Meanwhile, lay out the lettuce leaves over a platter and top with fresh beansprouts. Drain the noodles and arrange over the lettuce and top with thin ribbons of cucumber.
- Spoon the crispy pork over the noodles and top with lashings of fresh herbs and thin strips of spring onion. Serve immediately.